Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Native American Wolf Story

Here's a story I came across. It has a sad ending.
photo by John Wiles

I wanted to give something of my past to my grandson. So I took him into the woods, to a quiet spot. Seated at my feet he listened as I told him of the powers that were given to each creature. He moved not a muscle as I explained how the woods had always provided us with food, homes, comfort, and religion. He was awed when I related to him how the wolf became our guardian, and when I told him that I would sing the sacred wolf song over him, he was overjoyed. In my song, I appealed to the wolf to come and preside over us while I would perform the wolf ceremony so that the bondage between my grandson and the wolf would be lifelong. I sang.

Read the rest here: http://www.ilhawaii.net/~stony/lore141.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment